Why are Lidl winning awards, according to their shoppers?
23 June 2015
Often over-shadowed by others in the discounter arena, Lidl was crowned overall 'Grocer of the Year' of the year at this month's Grocer Gold awards. Lidl smashed through the £4bn sales barrier with growth of 20% in 2014.
What has Lidl done to grow these sales:
- It's marketing has truly opened it up to the British public for the first time.
- It is continually driving in-store experience - for eg it's currently trialling self-service tills
- New back office automative ordering systems which still empower managers to make local decisions
- Focus on provenance - Lidl says £1.7bn of that £4bn is from British products
But what makes it so attractive now, in the eyes of the UK shopper?
- c1-in-4 UK adults have visited a Lidl in the last 7 days
- 23% of Tesco shoppers have also visited a Lidl in the last 7 days
- c1-in-3 Lidl shoppers are now social group AB
- >1-in-4 shoppers in Lidl claim to be doing their 'main' grocery shop
- They are attracting a much higher proportion of shoppers to their in-store bakery range vs competitors
- 75% of Lidl shoppers will have fresh fruit or veg in their baskets
To find out more about our High St discounter research click hereor contact us below: